Follow properly timed lawn watering.
Simple steps can save water indoors and outdoors
There are a number of things you can do around your home or business to increase water efficiency and decrease unnecessary waste.
Ways to save outdoors
- Plant waterwise, Florida-Friendly Landscaping™.
Use low-flow sprinkler heads.
- Water your lawn and landscape only when it is actually needed, such as when footprints are left when you walk across the grass.
- Apply moderate amounts of water to create a healthy, drought- and stress-tolerant lawn. For most Florida soils, applying no more than three-quarters of an inch of water per application is enough to revitalize the grass.
- Install sprinklers that are the most water efficient for each use.
- Rotors and spray heads are good for turf areas, but don’t use both in the same zone.
- Use micro-irrigation (drip and soaker hoses) in planting beds.
Plan landscaping and irrigation.
- Use spray heads designed for planting beds. Position the sprinkler so that you water only the lawn and shrubs, not paved areas.
- Maintain your irrigation system. Watch for broken or misdirected sprinklers. Check for leaks and clogged spray heads.
- Learn how to operate your irrigation system. Check timing devices regularly to make sure they are operating properly.
- Turn off the irrigation system when it has rained.
Wash your car on the lawn.
- Fertilize only when specific nutrient deficiency symptoms are evident.
- Apply fertilizers sparingly and follow the manufacturer’s directions on the bag, in terms of the amount per application.
- Fertilize only during the growing season, which can vary depending on where you live in Florida.
- Use pesticides, herbicides and fungicides only when needed, and apply them responsibly, following the label’s directions.
- Cut your grass at the highest recommended height for your turf species or the highest setting on your lawn mower. Cut no more than one-third of the grass length at one time to encourage grass roots to grow deeper.
Use water-efficient appliances.
- Equip hoses with automatic shutoff nozzles for car washing, hand watering, etc.
- Wash your car on the grass.
Ways to save indoors